Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Early Morning Pie Post

It's late at night/early in the morning, and I can't get back to sleep, so I went back through some of my pictures to see what I should blog about, and I found pie!!

Back in summer, when I tried to make regular forays to the Tacoma Farmer's Market, the time for buying cherries peaked. Rainier cherries are my favorite, a hybrid between bing cherries and something else, their flavor depends on how much red or yellow there is in each cherry. Or at least that's how I think of them. Anyway, they are delicious, and they don't stain the universe like bing cherries. It is a fact, however, that I have expensive tastes when it comes to cherries. Rainier cherries even at the peak season sell for at least $5/pound.

So! When one of the vendor's at the farmer's market was having a sale on her Rainier cherries, 2 pounds for $8 or something ridiculous like that, I bought four pounds of cherries. This is a lot of cherries. It becomes a lot more cherries when it turns out your soon-to-be-husband is allergic to raw cherries (totally fine when they're cooked, he's weird like that). I could have eaten four pounds of cherries myself, but then I would have gotten sick of them. So instead I went recipe hunting!

I went to trusty Tastespotting and came up with Rainier Cherry and Goat Cheese pie, from here.


Instead of making a goat cheese crust we made just our simple crust that we get from the old Betty Crocker cookbook, tried and true. It's more savory than a sweet pie, which I like because sometimes pies have so much sugar it burns the roof of your mouth. I don't think I've ever really liked a cherry pie, but then again I'd never had one with my favorite kind of cherry! Which are not bings, for me. The goat cheese makes the pie creamy and doesn't overpower the many subtle flavors of the Rainier cherries, and the addition of citrus adds enough acidity to keep it all from becoming overly sweet.


I can hardly wait for next summer to make it again!

No comments: